Fish, (Cut into cubes) – 1 Kg
Refined Oil –200ml (to fry the fish)
Vinegar – 500ml
Turmeric Powder – 3/4 tsp
Chilli Powder – 3tsp
Salt – to taste
Sugar – 1/2 tsp
Coconut Oil – 50ml
Mustard Seeds – 1/2tsp
Fenugreek seeds –1/4 tsp
Garlic Cloves (Cut it into thin slices) – 10nrs
Ginger, chopped – 10 gms
Green Chilly, chopped – 2 nrs
Curry leaf – a few
Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds – ¼ tsp
Jeera Seeds – ½ tsp
Pepper corns – 1tsp
Method of Preparation
1. Cut the fish into thick pieces. Prefer the fish with less bone. Prepare the marinade out of Turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt. Put the fish in marinade, mix it well and set aside for half hour.
2. Shallow fry the fish piece once the marination period is over.
3. Use the same oil which is here used to shallow fry the fish to pop the tempering ingredients. Do it in slow flame and it should not turn the ingredients to burn. After the tempering is done, add the chilli powder and turmeric powder. Mix it.
4. Add the fried fish pieces in it, stir gently in the masalas. Add the Vinegar now, also add salt and Sugar. Mix all gently.
5. Dry roast the pickle masala ingredients, powder it finely. When the vinegar starts to give bubble, add the pickle masala powder (3/4 tsp). Stir and take it away from fire.
Note: You can use the same recipe for the preparation of any other Seafood pickle (Prawns sardines, anchovies, Seer fish etc.,). You can do either shallow fry or tawa fry the fish.
Use the airtight container for the storage. Do not mix it frequently while you store it. Use the single spoon to take the pickle. These tips help to increase the shelf life of Fish pickle.